:: SIMPLE ::

Another amateur blog..

Monday, February 26, 2007

My Med life: An intro

I've left the blogging scene for too long already.. Typical me.. Yil, Leah n Azm at least updated theirs at one point. Therefore I'm gonna do the same. So, it's been a month since I left Brunei for Bris yet again.. This time for a totally different reason... Doing graduate entry med.. Which will take up to 4 yrs.. You ppl may think that's long.. esp after 3 yrs of doing Biomed. But for me I think I need more time! We're talking about saving ppl's lives here in the future! I need the time to fully get that expertise..
.
Right, let me just take you guys back to when I had my first day of Med school. The day before, I was feeling really anxious.. Thinking of the transitions I had to go through.. adapting a new 'way of life', the PBLs especially (which I've never experienced before), & the fact to never miss a lot of lectures like I used to etc. These things were lingering in my head.. I told myself you have chosen this path.. Just face it & nvr hesitate..
.
The 1st day went just OK.. We only sat in the lect theatre the whole day listening to introductory speeches from various lecturers.. Nothing much really.. At that point, I haven't met any acquaintances yet. It was only until the first PBL (Problem-based learning) session when I got to meet new ppl. I was allocated into a group comprising myself, 2 Canadians and the rest Aussies from diff states.. I remembered entering my PBL room the 1st time and introducing myself to the other mates.. When the actual discussion of the first case started I was the one sitting quietly, not contributing much. I was probably overtaken by their intimidating aura.. (despite them being friendly and all) and it felt like I had the 'inferiority complex' (read about this somewhere before). They were like talking stuff I was completely unaware of.. and these had come from their experiences.. and better yet they're knowledgable. Fortunately for me there was someone who's at par with me- clueless. But I feel that she will gain a lot from asking coz she's just so good at that. Me on the other hand, I felt like I additonally NEED to learn how to ask.. We're into Week 6 now & somehow I'm at least able to grasp the concept of this type of learning although I'm struggling a bit with it. Thankfully, my PBL colleagues are understanding. There was this one day when we had one gathering at the Uni cafeteria, I explained to them that I was struggling a bit in the communication part and one of them just told me not to worry and just go with my own pace. It was such a relief to hear that. Coz thinking that you're not pulling your weights in discussion is such a distressing feeling. But as the weeks went on, I slowly contribute bit by bit verbally. And I hope it continues and gets better.
.
For certain, uni life's changed. Library's your main destination nowadays to do your assigned weekly LO's (learning objectives) - at least for me. Compared to last semester during my Biomed days I had so much free time.. How I'm missing those times now haha.. But yeah, it's so hectic now. There's just so much to learn in a week. Coz the very next week, you are presented with a new case plus we have the practicals and lectures. Sigh~
.
I think I've written so much for an intro.. I'll post up again some time...

Labels: